Personalised service with a commitment to quality
Duration: 1/2 day
HLTWHS005 Conduct Manual Tasks Safely
The course HLTWHS005 Conduct manual tasks safely will provide participants with the skills and knowledge required to recognise potentially hazardous manual tasks, and then to prepare for and complete those tasks in a safe manner.
This course applies to all workers involved in manual handling tasks.
The skills in this unit must be applied in accordance with Commonwealth and State/Territory legislation, Australian/New Zealand standards and industry codes of practice. The Hazardous manual tasks code of practice applies to this work.
Learners will be able to demonstrate essential knowledge required to effectively complete tasks outlined in elements and performance criteria of the HLTWHS005 Conduct Manual Tasks Safely course, manage tasks and manage contingencies in the context of the work role. This includes knowledge of:
- key information from work health and safety (WHS) regulations relating to manual tasks and national code of practice
- role and responsibilities of the employer and employees in relation to manual handling safety
- ways in which individual workers are involved in consultation about workplace health and safety
- reporting mechanisms required for workplace injury and compensation claims
- key aspects of the risk management approach to manual tasks
- risk factors and potential sources of risks of hazardous manual tasks:
- systems of work
- types of manual task activity and the types of injuries that can result
- the relationship between the human body and risk of injury from performing manual tasks
- functions of the human body:
- basic function of the spine
- body postures
- types of muscles
- principles of levers
- manual handling techniques that support safe work practice:
- preparing the load/client
- preparing the environment
- using the stronger muscles in the legs where possible, rather than spinal muscles
- maintaining a neutral spine when lifting and carrying
- using two hands to lift or carry
- keeping the load close to the body/centre of gravity
- avoiding lifting objects above shoulder height
- minimising repetitive movements
- positions not held for long periods of time
- avoiding twisting by repositioning feet whilst turning
- types and operational features of mechanical aids, tools and equipment
There are no pre-requisites for the course HLTWHS005 Conduct manual tasks safely.
Clothing: We suggest that you wear comfortable casual clothing. Pants and flat shoes are recommended.
Healthcorp’s accredited HLTWHS005 Conduct manual tasks safely course is 4 hours in duration and covers both theory and practical elements of conducting safe manual handling practices.
There is a short multiple choice quiz at the end of the training covering the course theory learnt that day. Students will also be assessed on practical skills as a requirement to pass the course.
A Statement of Attainment in HLTWHS005 Conduct manual tasks safely will be issued to the successful participant.